Tribhuvan International Airport is the only international airport in Nepal. Immigration Office, TIA (Tribhuvan International Airport) under the Department of Immigration has been facilitating tourists flying to Nepal by providing Visa on Arrival. 'On Arrival' visa procedure is very quick and simple. You can expect some queues during peak Tourist season. If you wish to skip those queues, you can also consider getting Visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions stationed abroad prior to your arrival. The choice is yours.
If you have obtained a visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions, then you must enter Nepal within six months from the visa issued date. Your total stay is counted starting from the day you enter into Nepal.
Visas obtained on Arrival at the Entry and Exit points are 'Tourist Visas'. They bear multiple Re entry facility. Tourist Visa 'On Arrival' is the only entry visa to Nepal. If you are visiting Nepal for the purposes other than Tourism (sightseeing, tour, travel, mountaineering, trekking, visiting friends and families), you should still get ' Tourist Visa' to get into the country. However, you must change the category of visa as per your purpose and length of stay in Nepal from Department of Immigration by producing required documents.
If you are wondering about how to obtain Nepal visa, then the easiest way to obtain it is at the Tribhuwan International Airport upon your arrival in Nepal or else at the immigration entry point if you are entering through the border of India or Tibet.
Note: There are few countries namely
- Refugees with a travel document
People from these countries do not get a visa from the immigration entry points of Nepal.)
Please follow these simple procedures for Tourist Visa on Arrival at the airport (TIA) if you have not acquired Visa prior to boarding the plane.
- 1st Step
- Fill in ' Arrival Card '
- Fill in Online ‘Tourist Visa ‘form ( you can fill it up prior to your arrival visiting our official website Department of Immigration / fill it up using Kiosk machines upon your arrival at the airport). If you fill it from the website, you will get submission Receipt with barcode, please print it out and bring it along for acquiring a visa. It works for fifteen days and becomes invalid then after. If so, you will have to fill it up again.
- 2nd Step
- Make payment at the bank according to your visa requirement ( 15/30/90 Days)
- Get the receipt
While you can use different modes of payments (at visa fees collection counter), we advise you to carry some cash to be on the safe side.
- Proceed to the Immigration Desk with your online form, payment receipts and your passport.
- Hand in your documents to the immigration officer for visa processing. He/she issues visa to you upon his/her satisfaction.
What do you need to obtain a Nepal visa?
If you are thinking of taking a visa at the airport or immigration entry point, the following are your requirements:
- A valid passport (The passport should have a validity of at least six months).
- You should fill the application form for visa available at airport or immigration entry points.
- Two passport size photos.
- Visa fees which should be paid in cash.
Entry points to Nepal
- Tribhuwan International Airport, Kathmandu
- Eastern Nepal – Kakarvitta, Jhapa
- Central Nepal – Birjung, Parsa
- Northern Border – Kodari, Sindhupalchowk
- Western – Rupandehi (Belhiya, Bhairahawa)
- Mid-western – Banke (Jamuna, Nepalgunj)
- Far western – Kailali (Mohana, Dhangadhi) / Kanchanpur (Gaddachauki, Mahendranagar)
- USD 30 or equivalent convertible currency for 15 days.
- USD 50 or equivalent convertible currency for 30 days.
- USD 125 or equivalent convertible currency for 90 days.
- For the tourist of SAARC nationals, free visa up to 30 days.
- Visa is not required for Indian nationals. However, if they enter Nepal via air, they will have to show a valid identification certificate (passport/ citizenship certificate). The children under the age of 10 do not need to show an identification certificate.
- Tourist visa extension is done for minimum 15 days with USD 45 and USD 3 per day for additional days.
- In the case of delay less than 150 days additional USD 5 per day as of late fine.
When a foreigner has to get down at Nepalese airport as a result of his/her transit point or due to any force landing for whatever the reason, the foreigner can obtain a transit visa for a day after paying USD 5 or any other currency equivalent.
Gratis Visa (Visa for Free)
Gratis Visa is issued free of cost in case of following categories of Visa applicants:
- Children below 10 years except for US citizens
- Up to 30 days for SAARC Citizen (except Afghanistan) visiting Nepal for the first time in a given visa Year. Afghan citizen is eligible for Gratis Visa on Arrival only upon the recommendation of the Department of Immigration. If you are an Afghan citizen, you can request concerned institution inviting you to Nepal for necessary paperwork with Department of Immigration to get you Gratis Visa 'On Arrival'.
- Non Residential Nepalese(NRN) card holder ( issued by MoFA /Nepalese diplomatic missions abroad)
- Chinese Nationals
Officials from China, Brazil, Russia and Thailand do not need Entry Visa based on reciprocal visa waiver Agreement
Visas of all kinds including ‘Gratis’ issued at the Airport are Tourist Visas. Contact Department of Immigration for extending your visa or changing the category of your visa. Tourist Visa extension can be done from the Immigration Office, Pokhara too. non-tourist visa extension can be done only at Department of Immigration (if eligible) for a period of maximum one year (except business visa).
Other General Information
- Entering into Nepal or staying in Nepal without a valid visa is illegal.
- The tourist visa can be obtained either through the Nepalese embassy or consulate or other mission offices in your nation or at the immigration entry points in Nepal listed above.
- Visa once issued cannot be amended and the visa fees are non-refundable.
- You should pay the Nepal visa fees in cash. Credit card or cheque is not acceptable.
- Visa charges are not applicable for children under 10 years of age, however, they must obtain a valid visa.
- If you are obtaining a new passport or travel document, you are advised to contact the Immigration Department for the document transfer.
- Always carry your passport and trekking permit while on trekking.
- Some of the areas are restricted for filming. Therefore, be careful not to do the activities that are strictly prohibited.
- The culture, tradition, and sentiments of Nepalese people should be respected. Do not perform any activities that would hurt their sentiments.
- Do not perform any activities that would lead to moral turpitude.